Mussenden Temple is a small circular building located on cliffs near Castlerock in County Derry, Northern Ireland.
The temple was built in 1785 and forms part of the estate of Frederick Augustus Hervey, the 4th Earl of Bristol, Bishop of Derry.
Built as a library and modeled from the Temple of Vesta in Italy, it is dedicated to the memory of Hervey’s cousin Frideswide Mussenden.
The Temple offers views westwards over Downhill Strand towards Magilligan Point and County Donegal, and to the east Castlerock beach towards Portstewart, Portrush and Fair Head.
Downhill Demesne and Mussenden Temple are open to the public. Opening days & times can be found here.
Source of facts: Wikipedia. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License